Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Potato and Veggie Frittata

Ahhh...it is good to be home! 
After three weekends of being gone we are 
finally home and back in a routine.
I got to grocery shop last night and it felt good to 
know we will not be eating out 
for the next couple of weeks. 
We will be cooking at home and enjoying the last few weeks of summer. 

Our first night home we enjoyed this delicious frittata I adapted from Recipe Magazine. 

Potato and Veggie Frittata 

Ingredients 

1 medium russet potato, diced 
2 tbsp unsalted butter 
2 cups packed fresh baby spinach 
4 eggs 
6 eggs whites 
1/2 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp pepper 
4 ounces low fat monterey jack cheese 
1/2 cup red pepper, chopped 

Directions

Heat oven to 350 and place potato in a microwavable bowl. Add 1/4 cup water and place plastic wrap over the top, leaving one side vented. Microwave for 5 minutes and set aside. 

Melt butter in a 8-10 inch ovenproof skillet. Add spinach and cook for 4 minutes. 


Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix together the eggs and egg whites, salt, pepper, and half of the cheese. 
Add red pepper and potato to the skillet and heat through. 


Add egg mixture to the skillet and cook 7 minutes, until the edge looks set and can be gentle pulled away from the edge. Stir the soft part in the middle halfway through cooking. 


Remove skillet from heat, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until set. 


Serve with a side of broccoli and enjoy! 


We ate this for dinner but then I enjoyed it for breakfast today as well! 

I am linking this post to...


2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. I love the name and purpose of your blog. I am joining WW for the fourth time this year and hopefully the fourth time's the charm! (Apparently, just signing up will not lose you any weight!) Will check out your blog for recipe ideas. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your healthy and delicious recipes being a part of "A Little Birdie Told Me..."! While I enjoy all the decadent and fattening posts too, I feel, after a while,a little heavier simply having read them. I always come away from my visits here feeling "lighter" and energized to stick with healthy eating!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete