Monday, April 11, 2011

Whole Grain Soft Pretzel Wrapped Hot Dogs

     The mall has some pretty tasty and enticing snack and meal options. But let's face it, they are pretty much no good for you. While I can't say this recipe is good for you, I can say it is better than the mall option. And did I mention that Abby's favorite thing in the whole world is hot dogs? So needless to say, this meal was quite the pleaser.

Whole Grain Pretzel Wrapped Hot Dogs
Original recipe from cooks.com

Ingredients 

1 Tbsp. yeast (1 packet)
1 1/2 c. warm water 
1 Tbsp. honey or brown sugar 
1 tsp. salt 
3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour 
1/2 c. wheat germ 
Chicken /Turkey Hot Dogs

Glaze

1 egg + a little water mixed in

Directions 

Dissolve yeast in water with honey. When bubbly, stir in salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add wheat germ and remaining flour. Knead about 5 minutes. Let rise until double in size, about 1 hour. 

Divide into 8 parts. Roll into ropes. Wrap hot dogs with ropes (Abby's favorite part!). Transfer to a greased baking sheet, brush on glaze and pop in the oven. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. 

Let them cool for about 15 minutes. The Dog gets really hot!


I only made a few Dogs so I used the leftovers to make pretzels. Sprinkle with salt!


This post is linked to:
Monday Make a Food-"e"-Friend at The Saturday Evening Pot
Tuesday Night Supper Club  at Fudge Ripple

4 comments:

  1. how cute!! my kiddo(and my husband) would LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness my boys would love these! I'm saving them for our next snack Thanks!

    I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun meal!! i like your recipe for the pretzel dough. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete